Using rewards to keep yourself motivated. It makes sense. You do something well, get a pat on the back for it, and then you will want to do it more…right?
Well, I have a sneaking suspicion that you have tried something like this before, and it didn’t quite work out the way you wanted it to. Oddly enough that’s pretty common. Most people know that rewarding yourself for a job well done is a good thing, but few know how to do it effectively.
By taking your rewards through these simple steps, you can rev them up and get more bang for your motivational buck. Here’s what you need to do:
- Step 1: Make the rewarded goal difficult but attainable
- Step 2: Plan ahead to feed your anticipation
- Step 3: Present something small in a big way
- Step 4: Acknowledge self-excellence
- Step 5: Pay attention to the experience